A Note To Begin With:
After 5 years in agency work, I decided to start my own consultancy to address a need I saw as outstanding. Businesses face the challenge of whether to hire an organizational leader (project manager, COO, etc.) in order to steady the workload and pursue new business—or—burn out employees pursuing new business in order to afford hiring the organizational leader. Second Gear was founded on the idea that you can have both by partnering with a consultant.
While running my own business has been a challenge and a success within itself, I find that I am ready to take on a position at an established company and affect change and positive outcomes from the inside.
Second Gear Co. // 02.2016 – Present
- – Coordinated the organizational structure of five small businesses, implementing proprietary budgeting and scoping processes.
- – Structured, organized, formed and ran my own business as an S-Corp, including process development, market research, bookkeeping and business development.
Big River // 02.2014 – 02.2016
Junior Project Manager, 02.2014 – 03.2015 // Promotion: Project Manager, 04.2015 – present
- – Implemented routine process for estimating project budgets, and wrote proposals for almost all new business efforts including seven (7) RFPs and over twenty-five proposals (25+) – 02.2014 to 11.2015.
- – Acted as Account Executive for the #summerofsweetFrog social and digital campaign, resulting in +8.9k Facebook fans and an average click-through-rate over 300% higher than the industry average (0.42% vs 0.10%).
- – Collaborated with Account Manager for Sotherly Hotels to utilize research documentation to inform and bolster strategic and creative work (currently under NDA, please ask for more detail).
- – Oversaw the rebranding efforts of two local establishments from start to finish as acting Account Coordinator/Executive respectively – Hospital Hospitality House, now The Doorways as well as a renowned pediatric practice, now RVA Pediatrics.
Epiphany: Promotion // 05.2013 – 02.2014
- – Increased average time on client’s site by 200% with homepage redesign, based on 700+ test users and competitive analysis.
- – Forecast client’s next business steps by overseeing 12-week research initiative engaging 25% of client’s entire customer base.
- – Incentivized high-level executives to participate in informational interviews on behalf of client through generation of recruiting materials and consensus building processes.
Epiphany // 08.2012 – 05.2013
- – Managed Project System of 49 customized print jobs over four months with a 98% on-time/under-budget completion rate two years running. Total project completed at 70% of expected out-of-pocket costs, yet retaining 100% billable hours.
- – Created turnkey process for project management with new internal procedures including reporting, scheduling and tracking.
- – Grew company profitability through targeted, per-project resource allocation – minimizing costs and increasing cash flow.
- – Streamlined transitions into new business and projects with development of standardized initiation materials and manuals.
Virginia General Assembly // 11.2008 – 01.2010
Legislative Analyst under Del. Brink
- – Aided Delegate by tracking legislation, conducting research and engaging lobbyists, constituents and advocacy groups.
Richmond City Council // 06 – 08.2009
- – Gathered research resulting in the preservation of two Richmond-area historic sites.